I heard about this recipe through a friend at work, who made it last weekend and LOVED it!
A way I can justify eating Mac & Cheese? Yes, please!
- 10 oz Quinoa Elbow Macaroni (uncooked)
- Substitute: Wheat Macaroni
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash
- 8 Slices Turkey Bacon (uncured, nitrate free, from Turkey Meat)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 2 oz. Goat Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary
- Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut end off of butternut squash, then slice down the middle. Remove seeds from inside and then place butternut squash on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Spray with coconut or olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt & pepper. Roast in oven for 1 hour or until squash is tender.
3. In a pot of water, cook macaroni according to it’s instructions. Drain cooked macaroni, and set aside when finished.
4. Set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat to cook turkey bacon. Cook bacon long enough on each side that it becomes crispy, about 3-5 minutes per side. Once the bacon is crispy, remove from skillet. Let bacon cool down for about 2 minutes, then chop into pieces to create bacon bits.
5. Remove squash from the oven and let it cool down (almost to room temperature). Then cut into chunks and peel the pieces.
6. In a high powered blender, add all ingredients except the bacon bits and garnish. Blend the ingredients to create a creamy, cheesy sauce.
7. Pour sauce over the cooked/drained macaroni, mixing the sauce in with the pasta. Once mixed, toss in bacon bits and stir again. Season with salt & pepper to taste!
8. If desired, garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley!
Recipe From: FitMenCook