I’m new at this mom thing but I’m not so new at packing and traveling! I mean it’s what I do for a living. Your hospital visit is basically a staycation. I’d like to think I’m an expert packer so I’m happy to share with y’all everything I packed to go to the hospital for my delivery. Here is everything you, your partner, and the baby will need.
Hospital Bag Checklist For Delivery
- Dressing Gown (or here)- They’ll give you this but they’re awful and if you’re stuck wearing something for two days make sure you’re comfortable. Dark colors work the best to hide stains and leaks.
- Socks and Slippers – Trust me, the floor is disgusting. Plus you’ll want to keep your feet warm. Even though you have temp control you can get cold in those hospital rooms. Backless slip-on slippers work best because you’re not going to be doing a lot of bending.
- Old, big, oversized t-shirt + bralets – I’d pack at least 2 for when things get messy. This is my favorite bralet for large busted women. You’re also going to need these nursing pads.
- Outfit – Nice maternity outfit, robe (this robe is a must), PJ set for some cute family photos at the hospital.
- Lotion, Lip Balm, & Hydrating Face Mask – You don’t want to get dried out so stay hydrated and moisturized.
- Pillows & Blanket – Bring a set for you and for your partner that will be sleeping over. This makes it comfy and homey! Nothing beats your own pillow and blanket.
- Toiletries & Bath Towels – Makeup, face wash/wipes, contacts, glasses, deo, hand sanitizer, hair products like a curling iron and a blow dryer. I like to bring my own bath towel because I have huge soft ones that I can’t live without. I also have a towel hair wrap that I love. Just bring whatever makes you feel at home because you could be there for a few days.
- Snacks & Drinks with LARGE tumbler– Even though my hospital had room service for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that was included in my stay I still wanted a cooler of snacks and drinks. It’s nice so you don’t have to go to the vending machine all the time. But if you do plan on frequenting the vending machine make sure to have cash and quarters. Bring a large tumbler with a drinkable lid (no straw) because the only water cup they give you is super small and it’s a pain to keep refilling it. Along these lines don’t forget any pills or vitamins that you’ve been taking. Make sure you bring those and keep taking your medicine.
- Fire Stick – A MUST! Bring entertainment like a book, kindle, music, earbuds, computer, etc to keep yourself busy but the main thing we enjoyed was our Fire Stick (Fire TV or Roku) so you can hook up to Netflix and Amazon Prime and watch all your shows and new movies. It was just like being at home! Bring an extension cord just in case the TV is too high on the wall to reach the plug.
- Camera, Phone Charger, Polaroid– Bring all the cameras and all the chargers and take tons of photos! I even brought a tripod just in case.
For the baby
The hospital will give you everything you need including diapers, swaddles, a little hat, wipes, formula, and so much more. They’ll even give you a goodie bag to go home with tons of stuff! It’s such a lifesaver. But, here are a few things you need to bring for the babes.
- Baby Outfits – A cute outfit including booties for pictures and for going home. Bring a few, just in case there are any accidents. I brought some at different sizes too just in case.
- Swaddle – The hospital will give you these but if you wanted a custom one or a softer one bring it.
- Baby Blanket / Sheets – If you’ll be taking cute photos of your newborn in the bassinet bring some cute sheets or a cute baby blanket to cover the hospital vibe.
- Car Seat and Stroller – You can’t leave the hopsital without having the car seat installed so you’ll need to have that ready before you leave.
- Pacifier – Some hospitals will fight you on this but ultimately you’re the parent and it’s up to you if you want to use a pacifier. We gave our kid one and it was a game changer! It didn’t hinder him from breastfeeding or taking a bottle. But it helped us sleep and it helped him soothe himself. I don’t want him sucking his thumb so paci it is!
For your birth partner
- Pillow & Blanket
- Change of clothes
- Slides / Slippers
- Large Tumbler
What to pack in your hospital bag for delivery
I would recommend packing a separate bag for the baby or if you pack in a rolling suitcase just keep everything separate so it’s easy to get to. When you do a tour of the hospital check out what storage options there are. I packed in a weekender bag, my husband packed in a backpack, and we packed a super cute tote bag for the baby things! They could be easily stored in the hospital closet that was in our room. I packed my makeup in my favorite caboodle so it wasn’t all over the place. We also brought a laundry basket with pillows and sheets. It was just the easiest way to carry those things and it doubled as a laundry basket for our dirty clothes. haha
What was your favorite thing in your hospital bag checklist for delivery?