Not your average sandwich // Applewood Smoked Turkey, Cheddar, and Green Apple Sandwich Recipe
Lunch is the hardest meal of the day, in my opinion… I rarely have time to prep a meal in the morning, and a packed salad is never as good to me because it’s not freshly made anymore by the time I eat it. I also hate eating anything too heavy then going back to work and feeling the afternoon slump. I need something light, but nutritious that will keep me going but not weigh me down. I’ve come to learn that the only lunches that really work for me that are quick and easy but also fit into my healthy eating plan are homemade sandwiches with fruit and vegetables as a side.
I’ve tried all the deli meats growing up, and I found my favorite recently. It’s hard to find deli meats that take nutrition into mind, but since I’m health conscious in (most) everything I eat I appreciate when a brand cares. So many frozen entrees, lunch options, and pre-packaged meals say they’re “health-conscious”, “free of preservatives and additives”, and “good for you”. It all seems too good to be true though? Not kidding, Oscar Mayer Selects Natural is the first deli meat I really feel is smart and considerate of a balanced and health-focused diet. It’s made with no artificial ingredients, is minimally processed, has no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, gluten and no by-products. Like, what?! On the backside of each package they list out the ingredients used to preserve quality so they’re not hiding anything. With no artificial ingredients and real quality taste, you can rely on Oscar Mayer Selects Natural to be one thing that’s not too good to be true!!
Here is one of my favorite sandwich recipes I recommend trying!
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 slices whole grain (or wheat) bread (optional: toast the bread)
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise (Tip: replace with hummus!)
- 2 – 4 thin slices of Oscar Mayer Selects Natural Applewood Smoked Turkey
- 1 ounce thinly sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 thin slices of green apple
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- Spread mustard on one piece of bread.
- Spread mayo (or hummus) on other piece of bread
- Layer on the remaining ingredients, turkey, cheddar cheese, green apple slices, and lettuce.
- Tip: You can put some hummus/mayo/mustard in between the layered ingredients to help stick if your sandwich is falling apart
- Slice in half and enjoy!
I like to pack some carrots and fruit as a side with this sandwich, for a wholesome and balanced lunch.
You can learn more about Selects Natural and all the Oscar Mayer products here!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.