Not Your Average Holiday Party Themes
The holidays are approaching, whether we’re prepared or not and that means holiday parties! The typical holiday party (red, green, and silver/gold) or tacky sweater theme are great classics but if you’re looking to spice it up this year, I have some other suggestions for you. These are great for a house party or even an office party.
- Griswold’s National Lampoons Christmas Vacation: Encourage your guests to dress up and you can only hope someone will come dressed like Uncle Eddie. The Hive Blog provides some great food and decoration ideas to tie the event all together.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas: This is a fun theme for all ages, not just kids. Sweeten Your Day Events nailed it with decorations. Serve a Grinch punch with sprite and lime sorbet and wear this Grinch onsie.
- Elf: Who doesn’t love Elf and you have to provide karaoke because “the best way to spread holiday cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” Serving spaghetti with maple syrup and M&Ms can be optional.
If you want to class it up, here’s some other options:
- Madmen/1960’s: Bust out some vintage attire for this celebration. Serve martinis and manhattans, even ones Don Draper would approve of. Click here for more ideas.
|Photo Cred: Dean Street Society|
- White Christmas: Encourage everyone to wear white and decorate with white lights, snowflakes, and any other white decor. Make a white sangria for a drink.
|Photo Cred: Rampant Cuisine|
- Masquerade Ball: Guests can wear cocktail attire with a mask or you can provide some masks for those who “accidentally forgot”. Serve cheese, crackers, wine and whiskey.
- Southern: Throw a southern style themed holiday party and bring out those mason jars you have been saving and serve BBQ. You can decorate southern holiday style with plaid, mason jars, and burlap. And lights, always lights. I love fairy lights and they fit perfectly in mason jars.
|Photo Cred: Hometalk|
- Photobooth (you can DIY one out of PVC pipe and fittings, grab some fabric and hot glue it to the piping and then just add streamers or simply tape up some fabric or wrapping paper on your wall)
- Props for pictures
- Polaroid Camera
- Giant Jenga
- Cards (regular cards or Cards against Humanity)
What’s your favorite Holiday Party?