What to Pack For South Africa? Here’s The Ultimate South Africa Packing List
Ready to hop on that flight to one of the world’s most exciting destinations but wondering what to pack for South Africa? We’ve got you! We’ve pulled together a list of all the packing essentials you’ll need to bring along for your trip to South Africa, including a few safari must-haves and tips on what electronics to bring!
Whether you’ve got a beach holiday planned or your itinerary is packed with wildlife adventures, this packing list covers everything you’ll need for the perfect South Africa trip!
- 2-3 pairs of pants – At least one khaki-colored one for safari days
- 2 long-sleeve shirts
- 5 t-shirts or tank tops – avoid spaghetti straps
- 1 sarong – useful to cover your legs when in smaller villages
- 1 sweatshirt – yes, South Africa can get chilly in the evenings!
- 1 pair of trekking pants
- 1 pair of sturdy closed shoes
- 1 lightweight jacket – if you’re traveling during the winter months
- 2-3 sports bras – we recommend these for South Africa because safari car rides can get really bumpy
- 1 nice outfit for dining out – Most safari lodges in South Africa are casual wear, but it never hurts to pack a nice dress to pep yourself up when dining out!
- 1 pair of flip flops or sandals
- 1 rain jacket – Especially during the rainy season from November to March)
- 2 bathing suits
- 7 pairs of socks
- Small duffel bag or backpack – One that is also useful to use as a day bag during safari trips to all the incredible national parks in South Africa.
- Wide-brim hat
Toiletries + Medicine
- Mosquito repellent with DEET (lots of it!)
- Antibacterial handwash
- Anti-malaria medication (check with your doctor!)
- Travel-sized detergent – If you need to wash your clothes on the road, most hotels have laundry services that can do it for you, but they’ll rarely wash your underwear for cultural reasons. Bring a few travel-sized packs of detergent so you can wash your undies in the sink.
- Wet wipes – Not all bathrooms have soap available and SA is short on water, so they always come in handy! They’re also great for freshening up during hikes or safari car rides
- Universal travel adapter – In South Africa, they use type C, type N, and type M sockets. If you’re traveling from the USA, make sure to bring along a universal travel adapter to make sure you can charge all your electronics!
- Camera – South Africa is gorgeous – from the colorful buildings in Cape Town to the incredible safari parks and wine region, you’ll want to make sure you bring a good camera to capture all the memories!
- Extra memory cards for your camera – The photo opportunities in South Africa are endless, so make sure you bring a couple of spare SD cards so you don’t run out of space in your camera
- Phone + portable charger. We love this one.
- Headlamp – If you’re going on a camping safari, a headlamp is a must!
Safari outfit must-haves: