Ready to hop on that flight to one of the world’s most exciting destinations but wondering what to pack for South Africa? We’ve got you! We’ve pulled together a list of all the packing essentials you’ll need to bring along for your trip to South Africa, including a few safari must-haves and tips on what electronics to bring!
Whether you’ve got a beach holiday planned or your itinerary is packed with wildlife adventures, this packing list covers everything you’ll need for the perfect South Africa trip!
- 2-3 pairs of pants – At least one khaki-colored one for safari days
- 2 long-sleeve shirts
- 5 t-shirts or tank tops – avoid spaghetti straps
- 1 sarong – useful to cover your legs when in smaller villages
- 1 sweatshirt – yes, South Africa can get chilly in the evenings!
- 1 pair of trekking pants
- 1 pair of sturdy closed shoes
- 1 lightweight jacket – if you’re traveling during the winter months
- 2-3 sports bras – we recommend these for South Africa because safari car rides can get really bumpy
- 1 nice outfit for dining out – Most safari lodges in South Africa are casual wear, but it never hurts to pack a nice dress to pep yourself up when dining out!
- 1 pair of flip flops or sandals
- 1 rain jacket – Especially during the rainy season from November to March)
- 2 bathing suits
- 7 pairs of socks
- Small duffel bag or backpack – One that is also useful to use as a day bag during safari trips to all the incredible national parks in South Africa.
- Wide-brim hat
Toiletries + Medicine
- Mosquito repellent with DEET (lots of it!)
- Antibacterial handwash
- Anti-malaria medication (check with your doctor!)
- Travel-sized detergent – If you need to wash your clothes on the road, most hotels have laundry services that can do it for you, but they’ll rarely wash your underwear for cultural reasons. Bring a few travel-sized packs of detergent so you can wash your undies in the sink.
- Wet wipes – Not all bathrooms have soap available and SA is short on water, so they always come in handy! They’re also great for freshening up during hikes or safari car rides
- Universal travel adapter – In South Africa, they use type C, type N, and type M sockets. If you’re traveling from the USA, make sure to bring along a universal travel adapter to make sure you can charge all your electronics!
- Camera – South Africa is gorgeous – from the colorful buildings in Cape Town to the incredible safari parks and wine region, you’ll want to make sure you bring a good camera to capture all the memories!
- Extra memory cards for your camera – The photo opportunities in South Africa are endless, so make sure you bring a couple of spare SD cards so you don’t run out of space in your camera
- Phone + portable charger. We love this one.
- Headlamp – If you’re going on a camping safari, a headlamp is a must!
Safari outfit must-haves: