My Baby Sleeps 10 Hours a Night. Here’s My Secret
As a new mom, I’m hounded with questions on the daily. A few common questions I always get are: Is Colton sleeping through the night? Is he sleeping at all? Are you getting any sleep at all as a new mom?
When I say yes to those questions, people are usually super surprised and then in disbelief. What’s crazy is that these questions are common, implying new moms are not supposed to be sleeping and neither is a newborn. Which is usually true, but thanks to the SNOO Colton has been sleeping and napping like a dream. I’m honestly astonished.
I’m usually told not to tell any other moms I’m sleeping great because they’ll be super jealous and hate me (as a joke, of course). Or I’m told how lucky I am to have a sweet angel baby that must be a “good” baby. And yes, while that is true (he’s the best ever), I credit this phenomenon of a perfectly sleeping baby to the SNOO. As much as I’d like to believe it’s my sweet Colton that’s magic, it’s the SNOO.
Let me set up the scene for you: We don’t have the “perfect sleeping conditions”. We put him down awake, in his SNOO, which is in our room. The room is not dark. The TV is on full blast. The lights are on. Mike and I are usually talking, walking around, or doing stuff. Basically everything they tell you not to do to get your newborn to sleep. And he sleeps great. Let me repeat. He. Sleeps. Great!
I’m talking 7-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time. Then when he wakes up, we change him, feed him, and put him down for a nap, because we follow Moms On Call. He will typically sleep for another 3-5 hours after that, too. Before the SNOO, he was sleeping in his bassinet or the boppy and would only sleep for an hour or two during naps and 4-5 hours during the night. So I’m positive that his sleeping is thanks to the SNOO and their sleep sack.
Since my baby is getting some good sleep, he is the happiest baby boy ever. I also believe I have the happiest baby because I’m happy. I’m happy because I’m getting enough sleep. I’m getting enough sleep because baby Colton is sleeping through the night thanks to the SNOO!
Y’all, if you have a new baby, get a SNOO right this second. It’s a game-changer and a lifesaver. It’s a bit pricey if you choose to purchase one but you really can’t put a price on your health and wellbeing. Not to mention, it’s right in line with other baby products price points in the market, but the only company to offer this type of product. I haven’t found anything like this out there. The great thing is that you can also rent it which makes it super affordable.
About SNOO Baby Bassinet and Sleeper
SNOO is a responsive baby bassinet that boosts a baby’s sleep by combining gentle rocking with soothing white noise and snug, safe swaddling. Created by Dr. Harvey Karp (The 5 S’s, Happiest Baby on the Block), SNOO helps babies by imitating the calming sensations of the womb.
What SNOO Does
- ADDED SLEEP: Adds 1-2 hours of sleep per night with constant calming womb rhythms
- ADDED SAFETY: Secure swaddling prevents rolling to an unsafe position during sleep
- RESPONSIVE: Soothes upsets by responding with gradually more motion + sound
- MOBILE APP: Convenient controls, daily sleep report, and tips from Dr. Harvey Karp
- FREE 30-DAY TRIAL: No-risk commitment
- SHIP IT WHEN YOU NEED IT: Set up your delivery time based on your due date
My Thoughts on the SNOO
Ok, so I want to elaborate on what the SNOO actually does to get your baby to sleep and how it works.
1. First, swaddling is awful. It’s like wrangling a wild animal into a fitted sheet. Impossible. Colton is Houdini and broke out of every swaddle, every night. It was miz. The SNOO comes with a built-in 5-second swaddle. It’s basically a zip-up sleep sack with velcro arms that wrap around your baby to secure his hands in place. It’s super easy and fast: anyone can do it without being an origami master. It comes in small, medium, and large to grow with your baby. They also have secure wings that attach to the SNOO safety clips which prevent your baby from rolling over so you can rest with peace of mind that your baby is safe.
2. The mobile app has been awesome. Technology these days blows my mind. The SNOO tracks Colton’s sleep patterns in the app and gives me a pretty report and chart each morning. It can even act as a remote in case I want to change the settings. That last example is a nap. A FIVE-hour nap. I guess that’s where the expression sleeping like a baby came from.
Not so funny story. Mike and I went to my parents to stay the night with Colton thinking it would be easy, no big deal. Well, boy was I wrong. Colton didn’t sleep a wink. He woke up every hour or two and when he did he was fussy AF, which is not like him. You can see above we don’t have data for Sept 9th which is when we were at my parents and probably explains why he took a 5 hour nap Sept 10th when we got home.
I didn’t realize how spoiled I really was (I mean Colton haha) until I had to spend a night without the SNOO. It was miserable. We woke up and came straight home. It definitely made me realize how thankful I am for the SNOO and being able to get a good nights sleep as a new mom. As I’m writing this he’s been in the SNOO for 6 hours. Life is good again.
3. The SNOO is a soothing machine with motion and sound combined at the push of a button. There are 5 settings, each color-coded, and represent a different level of soothing. The intensity of the motion and sound increase or change at each level to soothe your baby. Meaning, while you are sleeping (or working), the SNOO will detect if your baby is restless or crying and increase to the next level to soothe your baby back to sleep. Is your mind blown? The SNOO often calms fussing in under 1 minute. Plus, it naturally sleep trains so there is no need to cry-it-out. There are also settings and controls for preemies and newborns to limit the motion as well.
4. Beyond those amazing features, the SNOO is well designed so it actually fits into the design and decor of your home. Just because it was made for a baby, doesn’t mean it has to look like it. I love the modern design and clean white bassinet against the wood base.
This product was gifted to me by the sweet angels at The Happiest Baby, but it’s been so great I decided to write a full on review to share with y’all. All opinions are my own and I was not paid to write this. I truely think this product will save your sanity. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture you know. My husband was so stoked to see this at our door step because he was already about to purchase one after seeing a bunch of athletes using it. All the reviews are all 5 star, so I’m not alone here. Definitely rent or buy one and let me know what you think!
Interested in buying or renting a SNOO?