Broccoli Casserole Recipe
To compliment Thanksgiving as one of the most popular side dishes on the table, this broccoli casserole will never steer you wrong!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Boil Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Serving Size: 8
- 2 1/2 lbs broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk (whole or 2% preferred)
- 1/2 half-n-half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs (homemade* or store-bought), divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add cut up broccoli and boil for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander, drain and rinse with cold water. Place broccoli in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Move mushrooms to the bowl with broccoli when done.
- In the same saucepan that the mushrooms were in, melt 4 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the milk and half-n-half. Bring to a low simmer and continue to whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper and Greek yogurt.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with the broccoli and mushrooms. Add onion, egg, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs. Stir to combine then move to the prepared baking dish.
- Breadcrumb topping: Melt the remaining tbsp of butter and stir into the remaining 3/4 cup breadcrumbs. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over the top of the entire casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until filling is hot and bubbling. Check after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- Once done cooking, let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
*To make homemade breadcrumbs:
Preheat oven to 300 F. In a food processor, process 4 slices of whole-wheat bread until they become fine bread crumbs. Lay crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the preheated oven until dry and very lightly golden (about 15 minutes). Stir after 10 minutes to help crumbs brown/cook evenly. Unused breadcrumbs can be stored in the freezer for next time.