Mahabaleshwar is one of the small towns that is located in the state of Maharashtra. It is a part of the Satara district. For those who are not aware of this place, it is basically a hill station that is located in the hilly region of Sahyadri. In fact, Mahabaleshwar is the place that boasts of a lush evergreen forest in the country. While there was a British Raj period, this town served as the summer capital in the province of Bombay.
The climate of the town is normal throughout the year. Because it is a hill station, the summer is not as hot as it is elsewhere. There is heavy rainfall during the monsoon season and the winters are fairly cold as well.
Best Time to visit Mahabaleshwar
As mentioned earlier, the small town has a pleasant climate throughout the year. If you are planning on taking a trip to Mahabaleshwar, then here are the best times to visit the place:
- Winter (December to February): Temperatures during the winter season range between 10 degrees to 32 degrees (Celsius scale). The temperature is pretty mild considering the fact that it is a hill station. You can visit it during this time of the year because it makes the perfect season for outings and activities. If you are on your honeymoon, then this is the perfect time to visit the place.
- Summer (March to June): Even though the temperatures rise and the state becomes a little uncomfortable to live in, this hill station maintains pleasant weather. The temperature stays well within the range of 15 degrees to 35 degrees. This makes the perfect time for vacations and trips from school. It is perfect for family trips.
- Monsoon (June to September): This town experiences somewhere between average to heavy rainfall during the monsoon seasons. It refreshes the surroundings and makes the hill station look extremely gorgeous but people do not prefer this season because the outside activities get restricted during this time. However, since this is an off-season, one can find really good deals and offers on hotels and other facilities.
- Autumn (October to November): By the time autumn arrives, the rains retreat and the clear skies make the hill station perfect for outdoor activities and sight-seeing.
In short, any season other than the monsoons is a great time to visit this small town. However, if you are planning on availing great offers, then monsoon is a great deal.
How to travel to Mahabaleshwar
The hill station does not have a railway station of its own. The nearest railway station is at Wathar which is roughly about 60 kilometers away. One can take the train to the Satara station and then take a bus or a taxi to the town. It doesn’t have an airport either. However, the Pune airport is 120 km away from this hill station. One can easily reach Mahabaleshwar form the Pune airport by a cab or a bus. Also, there are plenty of buses that traverse between Pune and Mahabaleshwar and even Mumbai and Mahabaleshwar. For people who prefer to take the road, the distance between Mumbai and Mahabaleshwar is a journey of 4 to 5 hours. One can go through Panvel or take the Pune expressway from Pune to Satara.
Mahabaleshwar Tourist Point
Just like any other tourist destination, Mahabaleshwar has a few places that one cannot afford to miss. Mentioned below are some of the must-see places in the little town:
- Venna Lake – This is widely considered to be the most popular place to visit when in Mahabaleshwar. The lake is surrounded by trees on all sides and is a beautiful view as well. It allows people to take boat rides and relax by the lake when the sun goes down.
- Mapro Garden – This garden is blooming with strawberries and is a major tourist attraction spot. It boasts of a very large strawberry plantation and hosts the annual Strawberry Festivals. Food and delicacies made from freshly plucked strawberries are available at this festival.
- Elephant’s Head Point – This intriguing piece of the mountain bears an uncanny resemblance to that of an elephant’s head. Also popularly known as the need point, this scenic marvel offers a great view and makes one of the best spots to host a picnic.
- Lingamala Falls – This waterfall is a major delight to look at. Located in the heart of Mother Nature, it’s really soothing to the eyes and makes you feel like you are one with nature itself. It is a great spot for family picnics and lounging.
Historical Places in Mahabaleshwar
There are a few historical places in Mahabaleshwar and some of them are as follows:
- Pratapgad – This fort, which has now turned into ruins, once used to be a magnificent fort that was built by the Maratha rules in the year 1665. The rulers built it very strategically, right on top of a hill. This fort has a history attached to it because it witnessed the war for the fort of Pratapgad.
- The Lord Mahabaleshwar Temple – The Lord Mahabaleshwar temple has a rich history that dates back to the early 16th Built by the Chanda Rao More dynasty, this magnificent temple is an extremely old temple that was dedicated to the Lord Shiva. It is situated in an old city and draws a lot of people for the sacred pond and the huge Shivalinga.
- Rajapuri Caves – Yet another historical site, the Rajapuri Caves are situated about 10 km away from the town of Mahabaleshwar. There are four caves and they are all surrounded by kunds. In one of the caves, Lord Karthikeya’s temple stands. In another stands the Goddess Ghatjal Devi’s temple. The other caves are believed to have underground passages that served to aid the Pandavas when they were exiled.
Adventure activities in Mahabaleshwar
Some of the most thrilling adventure activities to do in Mahabaleshwar are as follows:
- Trekking in the Jungles of Tapora
- Birdwatching at Babington Point
- Lounging and having a picnic at the Connaught peak
- Wandering and exploring the mysterious Rajpuri caves and the underground tunnels
Recommended places for having food in Mahabaleshwar
Some of the best places to eat in Mahabaleshwar are as follows:
- The Grapevine (Asian, International cuisines)
- Farmhouse Bistro (Italian, Pizzas, etc.)
- Olive Garden (Café food)
- Saayali Restaurant (Indian, Chinese, etc.)
- Sizzler Place (Chinese, Asian, International, Indian, etc.)
Where to stay in Mahabaleshwar
There are some really good hotels in Mahabaleshwar that can give you an incredible stay. They are as follows:
- Brightland Resort and Spa
- Bella Vista Resort
- Evershine Keys Prima Resort
- Ramsukh Resorts and Spa
- Regenta MPG Club Mahabaleshwar
These are only 5 of the many amazing hotels and resorts that you can stay when you are in Mahabaleshwar. They all have extremely hospitable staff and an unparalleled ambiance.