In the fall, everything seems to catch up with me from what I’ve been eating and drinking during the summer, and then moving into patio and football/sports season. So much wine, guac, nachos, lattes, you name it.
I’m doing a bootcamp at CorePower during the next two weeks where I’m a “coach in training,” so I am doing the workouts the first week and then helping to coach the second week. The workouts are at 6am Monday through Friday as well as 9am on Saturday’s. Then, it’s encouraged to do a second workout each day, like hot yoga to stretch everything out. All of this is on top of your normal work schedule. I am super excited, but kind of scared about the early mornings, but saw it as an opportunity to do a detox and press my reset button. It’s not like I’ll be able to go have my usual wine and get to bed on time and still have the energy for all of this, so I figured what better time to do it!
I got the detox from Baron Baptiste’s Journey to Power yoga book, and it’s meant to clear out your body of the toxins, but also clear your mind and soul of the toxins. The parameters of the detox are that it’s a diet change, with clean eating and then 3 “cleanse” days where you just eat or drink fruit. Each day you need to get at least 30 minutes of exercise, and sweat (to help get rid of the toxins). To sweat, you could do a range of activities such as: go to hot yoga, and kill two birds with one stone there, or a sauna, or a hot bath with epsom salt.
I wanted to share the detox, because it’s really doesn’t seem too bad! After the week is over I’ll be sure to let you know how it went.
7 Day Detox Plan
Days 1 & 2:
Start to eliminate all of the bad stuff: alcohol, caffeine, dairy, processed foods, refined sugars, saturated fats. Begin eating clean to start the detox process.
Pre-Breakfast: Start your day off with a cup of hot water and lemon. You can add raw honey if you want to sweeten it a tad. (remember everything in moderation, and less is more).
Breakfast: Organic yogurt with sliced almonds on top and fresh fruit.
Lunch: One Protein (can be tofu, chicken, or fish), one whole grain (quinoa, brown rice, etc), a salad (with balsamic and one teaspoon of olive oil), and/or as many veggies as you want. This should be your biggest meal of the day.
Snack: one serving of a vegetable or fruit
Dinner: Similar to lunch, one protein, one whole grain, and one salad or one veggie. Keep the veggie/salad portion limited to one, versus lunch where you can have a bunch.
Dessert: Optional! You don’t have to have it, but if you want it be sure to stick to an all-natural, gluten and dairy free dessert. Or something simple like fresh fruit, a cooked banana or apple slices with cinnamon on top.
Days 3, 4, & 5:
Detox days! These days you will only eat or drink fruit. You can make smoothies, fruit salad, be creative!
- Some ideas:
- Frozen bananas mashed up into banana ice cream 🙂 (only bananas though!)
- Cooked apple slices with cinnamon and honey (optional)
- Fresh fruit salad with fresh lime juice squeezed over
- Fruit Smoothies (look up natural recipes online, you can use coconut yogurt unsweetened, coconut is a fruit!)
- Remember avocados and tomatoes are fruit, as well as cucumbers and olives! Maybe make an avocado, tomato, cucumber salad, topped with a teaspoon of olive oil and some spices (pepper, balsamic, apple cider vinegar, etc).
Days 6 & 7:
Same as days 1 & 2! Remember you will have done your cleanse days by now, so pay attention to if you are less hungry, you probably won’t need as much food as the first two days.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes vigorous activity a day (running, brisk walking, power yoga, weights, etc)
- Sweat at least once a day to get rid of the toxins (hot yoga, sauna, hot bath)
- Meditate if you can, even if for 5-10 minutes, to help detox your mind as well
- Try not to overload on starchy veggies or fruit, such as sweet bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, corn
- Remember green is good! The more color on your plate the better 🙂
- Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep a night
- You might feel crappy the first couple of days from no caffeine, and from the toxins working their way out of your body. Know that this is NORMAL. Keep truckin and going to your workouts, getting sleep, drinking your water and hot lemon water, and it will get better! Your body will eventually restore it’s natural energy and stop relying on these false energy supplements like caffeine.
I’ll let you know how mine goes! I’m doing it while doing a bootcamp and my regular schedule of yoga teaching classes and work, so thinking I might need a little protein on the fruit days, but we’ll see!
Remember to rock your Zions Den Apparel leggings during your workouts! They’re the most comfortable leggings I own!